Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Scariest thing I have EVER seen- "Happy Halloween to me!!"

This morning I went out to put a load of clothes in the washer and was greeted by a LARGE chunk of dead grass, (however we don't have grass, only pavement). So I took a closer look and realized it was a HUGE tan spider! The biggest spider I have EVER seen in my life. I am by no means exaggerating when I say it was as big as my entire hand!!!! I immediately killed it with the first thing I could find, then found Ben to get rid of it. He tried to tell me it was a "banana spider" but I thought he made that up because we still had tons of bananas in our garage. Well, it turns out he was right, they call them "Cane-banana spiders"! (Too bad I didn't get a real photo of this scary thing, but I am extremely glad I killed it, and will never again climb around in banana trees for bananas EVER again!)


(this looks exactly like the one I found, only you can't really comprehend the size of this thing until you see them in person!)


Apparently they are very dangerous (if I have the right name), this is what it said about them on line... " A bite from the banana spider is painful and neurotoxic. The victim of a bite will experience sweating and an irregular heartbeat. The bite from a banana spider can result in death and antivenin does exist, so seeking treatment as soon as possible is imperative. "

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

i have had the creepy crawlies ever since you told me about this!! and i will most likely have nightmares tonight that it's crawling on me. i'm impressed you killed it. whenever i see spiders i get frozen in place!

Lorilee said...

yikes! I can't believe you killed it! good job. I think I would have started screaming bloody murder and running through the house looking for the highest thing I can jump up on. This is usually my reaction when a cockroach finds it's way into our house... and i'm not joking.

Melanie Hahn said...

holy crap - that scares me - I'm really proud of you though for killing it yourself! It's really hard to kill big things like that! ewww I keep getting the shivers...yuck!

Becca said...

I completely HATE spiders! I am also equally impressed that you killed it..what a woman!

Happy late b-day!! I still remember the year your bday was on Friday the 13th and your mom & Tiffany made us go through a haunted maze & put our hands in gross stuff...then we tried to stay awake ALL night (I totally can't remember if we made it :)

Also, congrats on your pregnancy...but sorry you are sick :( I hated that. Totally worth it in the end though!

Amy said...

Ick ... that was SO gross! I'd be freaked out as well!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Its Brandon Grego

Have u never heard of the Song Hey Mr.Tally man, tally me banana
Daylight come and I wanna go home"

A beautiful bunch of ripe banana,
Daylight come...
Hide the deadly black tarantula,
Daylight come...