Sunday, November 7, 2010

'a hui hou'

Some of my most precious memories happened on the big island, some of the most beautiful places I have ever seen are in Oahu, and I could never explain the closeness my small family has felt being together so far away, but I have missed the comforts of family and the conveniences of the mainland more times then I like to admit. As we made our final decent on Friday I felt sad, but I also felt extremely happy because this chapter in our life has closed and the possibilities for the next are even more exciting.




We sing this song in Hawaii as a farewell. It is commonly sung at church to dear departing friends. It brings me to tears as I sing along in my head. I will miss you Hawaii!

Aloha `oe
Aloha `oe
E ke onaona noho i ka lipo
One fond embrace
A ho`i a`e au
Until we meet again

Farewell to you, farewell to you
The charming one who dwells in the shaded bowers
One fond embrace,
'Ere I depart
Until we meet again

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

i am getting all teary eyed reading your post! that's exactly how i felt when we left, you put my thoughts into words perfectly. i hope your move went smoothly. so excited to see you guys in a few weeks.

Kate and Ryan said...

I just loved reading your sweet post & looking at the darling collage of your Hawaiian experience, Marcie! I bet it's so very sad to leave, but I know that you & your family have many, many wonderful times ahead!

Lorilee said...

i still have chills on my arms.
i will never forget our ward singing aloha 'oe to us... it's one of my favorite memories.
i've been meaning to post some of my hawaii memories and feelings lately...
can't wait to talk to you and see how the move went.
miss you.