Sunday, February 28, 2010

Tsunami or not so Tsunami

First I wanted to thank all of my friends and family members who were so worried about us. We appreciated all of the phone calls and messages trying to warn us. It was a pretty crazy morning in Hilo with sirens going off every hour, people freaking out in grocery stores and gas station lines. Its a good thing Hawaiians are so laid back! People were a little more aggressive during the Hurricane Rita evac when we lived in Houston (guess we manage to follow natural disasters). However, because most of the shortages we experienced in Tx were from people using up resources I thought it might be best to make sure we had a full tank of gas, milk, water and diapers. One thing we learned about living on an Island is that when the grocery stores run low it can be a while before a shipment arrives. So THANK GOODNESS we got spared.

Alot of people were really concerned about us because they new we live downtown bay front in Hilo. So I thought I would post pics of just how close we could have been to
disaster.






We really didn't see much action. Here we basically saw the water pull back and push forward at a really slow rate over the break wall.

5 comments:

Amy said...

thanks for taking pictures of it! :) I'm glad everyone was spared from this "could be" disaster! I'm sure it was a scary day for all!

Tiffany Buhman said...

I'm so grateful that it didn't turn out the way they predicted. They had said 8ft waves or higher but I heard it was only 3ft, is this correct? Give the adorable babys kisses and hugs from us. I hope they are starting to feel better! Love and miss you!!

Lindsay said...

the more i think about it the more i realize how lucky we are that nothing disastrous happened. i'm so glad yesterday is over, i never thought it would end after waking up at 4 am. i hope presley is feeling better!

Kate and Ryan said...

I'm so glad that nothing happened! It's pretty crazy that your family has now been through 2 natural disasters! Glad that your girls are doing better.:)

Jon and Becky said...

So I'm a bit of a blog-stalker today. I'm looking for a picture of your dad to use in my YW lesson tomorrow on our Bishop. I added you as a friend on facebook but you don't have any pics on there of him, so I saw your blog link and I have to say, you have an unfortunate few number of pictures of your dad and the two that I did find he isn't wearing his glasses. Hopefully the girls will still recognize him. You wouldn't want to post a picture tonight would you? Maybe a post to The Man?
I'll just sit here waiting.
Go ahead.

By the way, heh, this is Becky (Thorne) Tolman